That stomachache you've been waking up with has got to stop.
Pain in the abdomen can radiate from the area between the ribs and the pelvis. Morning stomachaches, like most other types of abdominal pain, typically resolve without any special treatment.
However, stomach pain first thing in the morning may indicate a more serious issue and warrant medical attention in some cases. One should never, under any circumstances, dismiss pain that causes them to awaken during the night. See a doctor if stomach pain is keeping you up at night.
Causes of abdominal discomfort can be varied. And they are not limited to the morning hours.
Causes, prevention, treatment, and when to see a doctor for morning stomach pain are discussed further in this article.
Abdominal pain is usually harmless and goes away on its own within a few hours to a few days.
An abdominalache could be like...
Stomach pain can have a wide variety of causes, some of which are more serious than others.
The intensity of stomach pain can vary widely. Keep in mind that the seriousness of the underlying cause of pain is not always proportional to the intensity of the pain itself.
Horrible stomach pain can be caused by gas or gastroenteritis (stomach flu), both of which can be researched and treated online. Even if it's not serious, this can be quite uncomfortable.
On the other hand, life-threatening conditions like colon cancer or appendicitis in its early stages may not present with any pain at all or only mild pain, despite the fact that they could lead to death if left untreated. You should see a doctor if you are unsure about the nature or severity of your pain.
Also referred to dyspepsia Stomach pain, or indigestion, can occur at any time of day, including the morning.
Indigestion is characterized by abdominal pain and sometimes the following additional signs and symptoms:
- Tummy making a lot of noise
- Rapid satiety
The symptoms of indigestion can be brought on by one's way of life, preexisting conditions, or medication.
Some aspects of one's lifestyle are:
- Drinking excessively
- Insufficient sleep due to caffeine overload
- Wolfing down one's food
- Consuming foods that are high in heat, oil, or fat
Indicators of a more serious underlying health problem could include:
Indigestion can also be caused by some medicines. In this category are items such as:
- NSAIDs, or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, are used to treat pain and inflammation.
Several different symptoms may coexist to form what is known as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
Abdominal pain that persists over time is a hallmark of this condition. Patients with Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) may have either diarrhea or constipation, or both.
About 12% of Americans suffer from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
Some of the symptoms of IBS are:
- A discomfort in the stomach
- Alterations in feces and stool
- Stool mucus, white in color
- Unfinished bowel movement syndrome
Periods can bring on a worsening of symptoms for women who experience them.
Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, and indeterminate colitis are the three main causes of IBD, which is defined as chronic inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract.
The abdominal pain associated with IBD can strike at any time.
Possible additional IBD symptoms include:
- Slimming down
- Signs of internal bleeding include blood in the feces.
- Constant bowel movements
- Circumferential hemmorhaging
If a person has fewer than three bowel movements per week, they are considered constipated. Pain in the abdomen is just one symptom of constipation.
Some examples are:
- Inability to defecate easily
- Unfinished bowel movement syndrome
- Dry stools
- Loose, lumpy stools
- Lumpy hard
- Cramps when defecating
Peptic ulcers are sores in the stomach lining or the first part of the small intestine (the a href="MY_REDIRECT_PREFIXhttps://www.verywellhealth.com/duodenum-anatomy-4780308" target="_blank" rel="noreferrer noopener">duodenum/span>). Ulcers are not uncommon.
Those that form in the stomach are called gastric ulcers, while those in the duodenum are called duodenal ulcers.
In addition to helicobacter pylori infection, excessive use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) is another possible cause of ulcers.
When an ulcer is present, not everyone who has it will feel sick.
An ulcer typically manifests as a burning or dull pain anywhere in the abdomen, typically between the breast bone and the navel. The pain is often worse right before meals and can even wake someone up from sleep.
Ulcers can also cause these additional symptoms.
- Poop containing blood
- Stool, black
- Loss of blood through vomiting
- Not hungry
- Loss of weight without trying
Indigestion is usually nothing to worry about and goes away on its own accord.
On the other hand, if you experience severe stomach pain that prevents you from sleeping, you should consult a doctor.
Having stomach pain in the morning coupled with any of the following symptoms warrants an immediate call to 911 or emergency medical attention:
- Receive cancer treatment
- Experience discomfort in the upper body
- Having trouble defecating and throwing up
- A bloody bowel movement
- Blood in your vomit
- Feel a sudden and severe pain in your stomach
- Struggle to Take a Deep Breath
- Get sick and nauseous, with pain between the shoulder blades
- Experiencing a hard, rigid stomach.
- Hold your stomach in tenderness.
- Are expecting a child, or there is a chance that they will
- Possess a recent history of abdominal trauma due to an accident
If you are experiencing stomach pain and any of the following, it is important to seek medical attention:
- It's been more than five days since your last bout of diarrhea.
- You've been experiencing stomach pain for at least a week.
- Continued abdominal distention for more than two days
- A pain that either doesn't go away after 24 to 48 hours or gets worse or more frequent after that amount of time has passed is cause for concern.
- Your bladder burns every time you urinate.
- You have frequent urination.
- When your body temperature rises to over 100 degrees Fahrenheit for adults or 100 degrees For kids, that's a cool 4 degrees Fahrenheit
- You seem to have stopped eating.
- Continued vaginal bleeding is a serious medical condition.
- You've lost weight without trying to.
The source of abdominal pain must be determined before treatment can begin. Over-the-counter pain relievers are an option for mild pain.
Primarily gastrointestinal disorders like inflammatory bowel disease and irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) can cause severe abdominal pain that requires medical intervention.
The only type of stomach pain that can be treated effectively with aspirin or ibuprofen is period pain. This could lead to further stomach or bowel irritation.
Some possible home remedies for abdominal pain are as follows:
- Drinking enough water
- Taking in less alcohol or caffeine
- Having tasteless food for every meal
- Applying heat to the painful area with a heating pad or hot water bottle.
There are a variety of potential causes of abdominal pain, but some of them can be avoided with a few simple lifestyle adjustments.
Among these are:
- Maintaining a daily water intake regiment
- Reduce your intake of foods that may cause bloating.
- Frequent, smaller meals
- High-fiber diets have been shown to have numerous health benefits.
- Consuming a diet rich in vegetables and fruits
- Sustaining a healthy weight through balanced eating
Stomach aches in the morning are usually nothing to worry about. Indigestion, irritable bowel syndrome, inflammatory bowel disease, constipation, and peptic ulcer are just some of the many conditions that can cause stomach pain first thing in the morning. Seek medical attention if your stomach pain lasts more than a few days, gets worse, or is accompanied by other concerning symptoms.
The discomfort of stomach pain at any time of day is unpleasant, but feeling that pain first thing in the morning is especially distressing. Talk to your doctor if you're experiencing stomach pain that's keeping you awake at night or if the pain continues to disrupt your daily life. They'll figure out what's causing your discomfort and work with you to develop a treatment strategy that will reduce your symptoms and have you back to normal in no time.
Questions & Answers
How to Get Some Zzz's When Your Stomach Hurts
See a doctor if stomach pain is keeping you awake at night. With their assistance, you'll be able to pinpoint the source of your discomfort and receive appropriate care.
In addition to medical attention, you can try some at-home remedies for stomach pain, such as drinking plenty of water and using a hot water bottle.
How to relieve stomach pain with tea
The soothing effects of peppermint tea on the stomach have helped some people deal with stomachaches. Irritable bowel syndrome sufferers may also benefit from its ability to ease digestion and cramping.
Curious about the Italian sneakers with a funny name that come pre-distressed and sell for a premium? Look no further than Golden Goose sneakers. First discovered while living in Milan, the Golden Goose Deluxe Brand has been on the fashion scene for 20 years, inspired by the skate culture of Southern
Experiencing a feverish sensation even when there is no actual temperature can happen due to an array of reasons, from underlying ailments to hormonal fluctuations and lifestyle factors.Feeling hot or feverish can often be a signal of having an actual fever, but sometimes these sensations can occur
Suffering from toe cramps can be caused by a variety of reasons, ranging from something as straightforward as dehydration to more severe underlying medical issues and rare infections. These random muscle contractions can affect not only your toes but spread to your entire foot or ankle.This piece
Struggling to obtain Robux and replenish your Roblox account? Fear not, for we shall uncover the reasons why this happens and provide solutions, whether it's your fault or on behalf of Roblox Corporation, so you can ultimately purchase those elusive Robux.Before proceeding with the purchase, make sure